Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Conversation With an 8-Year-Old: Sentimentality Edition

[I hear weeping from the bedroom and go to investigate]

Me: What's wrong?

J: I am going to miss being 8.

Me: Oh, honey. You know how much I cried when I turned 20?

J: How much?

Me: A lot.

J: Why did you cry?

Me: Because I wasn't a teenager anymore.

J: But, am I going to be in between now?

Me: In between what?

J: You know, in between.

Me: In between 8 and 10?

J: No, like ... not a kid, but not a teenager.

Me: A tween?

J: Yeah.

Me: Oh, no. Not till you're 11. Or at least 10.

J [suspiciously]: Why not?

Me: Gotta get into the double digits to be a tween.

J [relieved]: Oh. Okay.

Me: You know, 9 should be good - you've got lots of friends who are 9.

J: I know. It just hurts my feelings that I can't stay 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment