Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Conversation With a Barista: Last Snob Standing Edition


At Fancy Coffee Joint:
Me: I'll get the iced caramel macchiato.
Her: Okay.
Me: Oh, wait. That says MOcchiato - you put chocolate in it, don't you?
Her: Yes.
Me: Sorry, can I get it with no chocolate, just caramel?
Her [snobbily]: Sure, but then it's not a macchiato, it's just a caramel latte.
Girl at the till next to her: Yeah, just a caramel latte.
Me: Riiiiiight. That's what I'll have.

For a moment I wanted to say, "actually, macchiato means 'spotted' and refers to 'marking' the espresso with milk - although around Vancouver it also seems to refer to drizzling syrup on top. But it doesn't require chocolate."

And then I realized I was being a pedantic yuppie jerk, and I went away and drank my delicious coffee. But seriously, if a place is going to be as snooty as this one is, shouldn't the employees know their fancy coffee terminology?

No comments:

Post a Comment