Sunday, June 17, 2012

Conversation With a 9-Year-Old: Priorities Edition

[We've been discussing Obama's new policy regarding illegal immigrants]

Dad: You know, in China if you move from one region of the country to another without permission from the government, you're an illegal immigrant in your own country. It would be like if we'd moved here from Manitoba, you guys might not have been able to go to school here, or anything.

Me: That's true - I have a friend from China who worked in the city, and she and her husband left their son in the country with her parents, when he was really little. They would go back to visit sometimes, but he was raised by his grandparents.

Dad: That happens a lot. Can you imagine, if we moved to Vancouver from Manitoba and left you guys there with your grandparents? And only came to visit once or twice a year?

J: We would be living in the country? With our grandparents?

Me: Yes.

J: Would I get to have dogs?

Me: Yeah, you would.

J: I would train my dogs to walk me to school, and to do tricks, and we'd always play ball, and -

Me: But you'd only see your Mom and Dad maybe twice a year.

J: Yeah, I'm fine with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment