Saturday, February 16, 2013

Conversation With a 7-Year-Old: Explanatory Edition

A: It's just that I really like to read! All the time! I mean ... no offence.

Me: Okay, I think we need to talk about what "offence" means. Do you know what offence is, what it means to be offended?

A: Yeah, I think I do.

Me: All right, what does it mean?

A: It means ... um ... it's just like when ... Okay, I'll give you an example to show what I mean.

Me: Go ahead.

A: Okay. I'm going to make it a law example, because you're a lawyer, all right? To make it a little clearer?

Me: Sure.

A: So, that town that wanted to kill the deer. The people who don't like killing the deer, they might be offended that people want to kill the deer. And that's why they're taking them to court.

Me: Wow, sounds like you understand it. But it's not just not liking someone doing a thing - it's that the thing hurts you or is really unpleasant to you. And could that ever apply to you reading?

A: Ha! No.

No comments:

Post a Comment