Thursday, September 20, 2012

Conversation With My Boys: Historical Fiction Edition

A: Mom, have you heard of the Angel of the Battlefield?

Me: No, I haven't.

A: I can't believe you haven't heard of the Angel of the Battlefield!!!

Me: Well, you can tell me about them ...

A: It's a she. A girl. And do you know what she would do?

Me: No.

A: She would go out into the battlefields of the Civil War - you know, the war, when the United States fought the United States? - and [starting to get a bit choked up] she would find injured soldiers and take them to a tent and cure them!

Me: That is pretty amazing.

A: No, I mean right in the war! Like, with cannons firing!! And rifles!! And she just went in there [choking up again] to save people!

Me: Did you read about this at school?

A: Yes, I read about it at school. That's the really cool thing about the Magic Treehouse books - they mix things that really happened with made up stories.

Me: I'm just impressed that you guys know what the Civil War was.

A: Um, it was, like, only the biggest civil war in one country ever. Of course we've heard of it.

J: Yeah, Mom - National Geographic?

Me: Ok, fine - it's all right for me to be impressed that you guys know so much about the Civil War. Do you know anything about the War of 1812?

J: Um .... maybe a bit?

Me: Right. We'll be remedying that.

No comments:

Post a Comment