Thursday, September 6, 2012

Conversation With an 8-Year-Old: Film Critic Edition

[I am walking the neighbour kid home]

Kid: Did you think The Hangover was good? I thought it was pretty funny.

Me: Your parents let you watch The Hangover?!

Kid: Yeah, I can watch whatever I want. J and A can't, can they?

Me: No.

Kid: Like, I bet they'd be totally freaked out if they saw Saw. I was kinda scared when I saw it.

Me: .... um. Yeah. I bet. I wouldn't watch that.

Kid: It's pretty gross.

Me: Yep. Not my style.

Kid: You don't like scary movies.

Me: I like scary movies, but not movies that are just gross. I like suspense.

Kid: I bet you'd like The Woman In Black.

Me: You see that one too?

Kid: Yeah, it was creepy.

Me: Mmm. J and A watched the trailer with me. I'll probably see it.

Kid, chuckling: Oh, man. You know what you should see? I mean, J and A probably can't handle it, but you should see Tucker and Dale vs. Evil. I think you'd really like it.

Me: Oh, okay, cool. I'll have to check it out.

Kid: It's a bit rude, and gross, but really funny.

Me: Got it.

[weeks later I see a reference to the movie in an article and actually check out the IMDB page and - darnit - the kid is right. I think I will probably enjoy it.]

No comments:

Post a Comment